Monday, March 22, 2010

MX207 in March!


So after a whole week of hearing how awesome the weather was going to be on Saturday (the weather guy was forecasting 70 degrees), I was pretty pumped about going riding! My friend Dan and I decided to head up to MX207 in Maine. This is a SWEET motocross track in Lyman, Maine- about 1.5 hours north of my house (http://www.mx207.com/).

This track is not only fun, but fast! It has a nice mix of jumps, sweeping berms, tight corners, fast straights, and fun tabletops. Its a big track that can allow me to really open up the CRF. At one point, in 4th gear down a straight, I felt as though I was riding my street bike! I couldn't remember the last time, I opened up the bike that much.

Now the thing about this track- it seems like whenever it rains, even if it rains like 5 weeks ago- the track is unusually wet. Now considering it is still only March, and this was the the first weekend the track was open, I assumed that it would be wet, wet like swamp-wet. Boy, was I wrong...

I arrived at 10:30AM, only to find the track in PERFECT condition. Literally, the whole course was in beautiful shape. It was completely dry- to the point where they actually had the sprinklers running! It felt like a Summer's day, yet it was only March- what a great taste of an early summer!

From 11AM to about 3:30, I got in several motos and had a lot of fun. I did well in the corners and on the tabletops. I need to work on mastering one double, and need to work on doubling a rhythm section that was bothering me throughout the day. I know I can double through that section, I think its the timing of the doubles that I have got to overcome. If I can master that section, I'll save a good 2 seconds or so off my lap times. Practice, Practice, Practice...

Anyways, it was a great riding day and a lot of fun trying to catch my friend Dan- an NESC Amateur. I noticed that its much easier for me to go faster when he's behind me than to try to keep up with his pace while behind him. I also learned that when a racer is on your tail and you go into a corner, you better take the fastest line! Whether its the inside line or outside line, don't give it away! Know the fastest lines in that particular corner and close the door on your competition. In this case, I took the inside line, and Dan took the outside. It turned out, the inside line sucked! There was no line! So I braked hard, lost all my momentum, and in the meantime, Dan railed the outside berm and while exiting, he blasted past me. I didn't stand a chance! Lesson learned- know your lines on the course!

Till next time,

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment